Saturday, November 1, 2008

Quilting "problems"

I do believe that the reason why I don't quilt more is the fact that I just don't have much time. Trying to raise 3 boys by oneself can be difficult. Add in sports and homeschooling and time is a precious commodity around here. We won't discuss putting in time to clean the house, which is what I'm supposed to be doing right now. *grin*

However, I think that another of my 'problems' is the fact that we have a small home and my quilting stuff is usually put away so that we have room for other things, like living. Mind, it all lives in the living room minus one dresser full of fabric that's in my oldest son's room, but still. My cutting table is folded down so that it's out of the way. Clearing the space so I can get it up to cut can be a chore I'd rather not face.

So I'm starting to think that if I just would devote one or 2 days a month to cutting out everything I want, or think I want, then I might get more done.

I really want to work on my SBS (or Sylvia's Bridal Sampler). I currently have something like 10 block patterns printed out, but no fabric cut to go with them. I am getting the most beautiful BOM from my LQS (local quilt store), but I haven't done last month. This month, because the store is pushing to get everyone done at about the same time, they're going to make everyone who started late (I'm in this group) start buying more than one month at a time. So on November 15, I'm going to have 3 months sitting here not being done. We won't discuss the Monster BOM I started years ago and haven't finished yet. *grin* That one isn't a cutting issue though. That one is a major applique issue. *grin*

So, what if I did set up my cutting table and ironing board with the sole purpose of getting a ton of things cut out for blocks I want to do? If I picked up some nice plastic Ziploc bags (I'm thinking quart to gallon size), then I could place all the fabric that I cut in those and separate them out. You know, make my own pre-cut kits. I mean, that's why I started that cheesy Joann BOM. It was all ready cut out and I didn't have to mess with it.

Of course, digging out my sewing machine(s) can be a problem too. Ugh! Can you say, "Too much stuff?" I sure can! I just seem to have a difficult time weeding through all of it and letting it go. However, that's a good topic for another day.

For now, I think I'll go clean my house. That right there will take a ton of pressure off of my shoulders. Then I'll look into "scheduling" some cutting time into my life. From there, I might just get more quilting done. *smile*

No comments: