Friday, November 28, 2008

Thank You

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who has taken the time to go out and read my short story that I posted out on Writing.com. It was a rather sad story and full of emotion. However, as they say, write what you know. At the time I wrote that, it's what I knew. Actually, in writing it, it cleared the air and I now feel free to move on to other things and write with a lighter tone. I'm currently working on a second story that I'm also submitting to another contest out on the writing.com site. It's of a lot lighter note, though some might find it a tad bit sad. It's just one of those things. With a husband in the Army, the fact that he's been away for just over a year now with 9 more months to go, I tend to write that way. There's just that touch of constant sadness to my life at the moment. However, I also think that it's allowing me to draw on deep emotions and write better.

Feel free to go visit my profile. As I finish up a story, I will place it there for everyone to read. Considering how my ideas change on a constant basis, you never know what you'll find there! I mean, I currently am working off and on 3 different books. One is non-fiction, another young adult fantasy, and another more adult fantasy with a spiritual twist. All three are very different and each require a different mood in which to work on them. How lucky that I flip through them all on a regular basis. *grin*

In submitting my work like that in a place where it will definitely be read, I opened myself up to constructive criticism. That was something I had not been able to handle when I was younger. When I submitted that story, I actually closed by eyes as I hit that "submit" button. My heart was racing and I was scared to death. However, I have only received great reviews and comments on it. It has given me a boost and provided a platform in which to continue writing from. Hearing that I wrote well from someone other than family or teachers was all I needed. As of right now, I feel like I will succeed in publishing a book, if it's God's will.

Eventually, I will pull back from the contests I'm entering and work on my books. However, I feel like I'm shaking out the cobwebs from the writing section of my brain and trying to ramp it back up again. I've let it lie there for so long, just ignoring it. I have discovered that you can't do that to yourself though. Over time, it will begin to fester and you'll only feel discontent. At some point, you have to acknowledge a gift that you were given by God and move forward. That's what my posting on Writing.com did for me. It forced me to move forward even though I was scared to death. I'm sure I'll feel the same way when I finish my first book and get it ready to submit. I pray that my goal of being a published writer will one day become reality. I don't even want to make a living out of it. I only want a single book published. That has always been my dream. If it's God's will, my dream will come true.

So, feel free to join me as I take this step into the unknown. I will probably blog about it quite a bit. I have now settled on writing and quilting as my two major passions. I want to work on both and become better at them.

With that, I'm heading off. I'm really tired and I want to be well rested for my writing stint tomorrow. My goal is to write at least 500 words/day. Wish me luck!

No comments: