Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Quilted tonight!

Well, I guess it still qualifies as "tonight." I haven't gone to bed yet. I'm a night owl by nature so I like to stay up late.

Anyway! I worked for 2 straight hours on my new quilt. I managed to get one 24" panel done. In case you don't know, I'm doing a twin-sized quilt in the 'Quilt As You Go' style. I've cut it up into several 24" panels and a few are larger. So, 2 hours netted me 1 panel and some random sewing on the other sections. I'm a huge fan of "leaders/enders" so I just used other parts of the quilt as my leaders/enders. It worked out well and got me closer to finishing more sections. Maybe I'll get more done tomorrow in 2 hours than I did tonight. Or rather, further visible progress.

What makes me sort of sad is that, the entire time I was working, I could only think, "This is boring." Wow! I don't remember the last time I ever thought that while quilting!! Then again, I'm going through emotional issues because my husband is gone at the moment. For all I know, it's just backlash from that. I was hoping to do 1 full bobbin's worth of piecing, but gave up when I finished that first panel and all the center sections that I had ready to go. I just didn't have the patience to just sit and put together the bars and the 2" squares that I still have to create.

I have decided to piece a backing together out of all the patriotic fabric that I own. I have tons of it! So I think I'll cut out 7" blocks out of several of them and then piece them together for the back. I'll probably start the work on that tomorrow since I have a panel ready. Maybe my boys will let me go to Joann's and get some batting so I can start quilting it. If not, I'll force them anyway. LOL If I only get one panel top ready a night, I'm in "trouble." I'll never finish it in time for the end of football season. Or if I do, it will be within 2 weeks of it ending. Oh, well. I'll still do it because I've already decided to create a utility quilt out of it.

The top of it will look really cool as it's in my son's football colors. I made the background black with a rich red (not a true, bright red) as the only other color. Though there might be some touches of gold in it here and there in the 2" squares. I cut up some leftover Oriental fabric that I had and it had some characters in gold here and there on it. This shade of red was "precious" in my stash and I can't match it without buying more fabric. Since I didn't want to do that, I figured I'd put up with the gold. *grin* Except for the batting and maybe the thread to quilt it, I won't buy anything for this quilt. It's time to use up some of my stash. Not that my stash is really large, it just needs used. I want to prove to my husband that those fabrics really do have a use. *grin*

With that, I suppose that I should call it an evening. I should probably get to bed so that I can set up my next amount of sewing tomorrow. I prep during the day when the light is best for cutting and then sew at night. I just find that the easiest way to do it. When I get a little further into it, I'll put in a picture of my new quilt. Maybe it will even get finished this month. That would be exciting. *grin*

No comments: