Sunday, September 21, 2008

It Takes Time

Oh, boy! Does it ever take time to put a quilt together. Silly me. Here I was, thinking I could pull this quilt off in 2 weeks, and now I'm hoping to be able to have it done by the end of football season. I put in some serious work on it today in the hopes of finishing soon though.

I decided to go with the longer sections and strips for the backing. So, I did a ton of work to get the rest of the top ready to go to be quilted. It's not 100% ready as I still need to stitch the rows together. At least the rows are done though. Well, then again, maybe not. LOL See, I just realized that those strips on the back will be horizontal strips. Just a little while ago, I decided that I didn't want horizontal strips. I want vertical strips. So I need to actually make 3 more rows before it's ready. Grand. I keep making this darn project larger. Told you I was silly.

Here's another thought for you. Have any of you 'heard' me say that the backing was ready yet? I haven't, have I? I wonder how long that will take. Sheesh! Me and my big ideas. Oh, well. I'll get it done eventually. I think I'll spend my quilting time tomorrow finishing up these rows and then begin prepping the backing. Though I do need to rework my numbers and see how many strips I need to cut. I have 8 different patriotic fabrics of varying amounts. Most of them I have 1 yard. Though several I have only 1/2 yard. I figure I'll use up all of the 1/2 yards and then fill in with the rest. Hopefully I'll have enough fabric. *smile* If not, I will be using narrow enough strips that I can probably sneak something else in there and call it close enough. LOL

With all of that rambling, I'm finished quilting for the day. I worked on it for at least 5 hours. You know, it's absolutely amazing how quickly time adds up on a quilt. Oh, well. The finished project is almost always worth it.

No comments: