Sunday, September 14, 2008

Books and Reading

I came across a blog, which apparently is a "blog of note" to Blogger and found an interesting topic. What book are you embarrassed to have NOT read?

In going through the comments, the same books kept coming up. Oddly enough, Lord of the Rings ranked pretty high in there. As did the usual Moby Dick, War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice, etc. You know, supposedly the ultimate classics.

I have read a lot of books in my life. However, I never find myself feeling bad or embarrassed if I haven't read one. I just add them to my list of what I want to read and keep going on with my life. Though I was embarrassed to not have read some authors, like Ernest Hemmingway. Well, I've read one of his books now, have found him to be very depressing, and my life will continue. *grin*

No, I'm widely read and I don't feel too bad if I've missed something. If I even attempted to list what I have read, it would take next to forever! I also know that I've read obscure authors that most people haven't read for several reasons. First off, my favorite author's books are only on the bookstore shelves for a very short period of time. Second of all, I have yet to find a library that even carries her books! So, that gives to a very small readership. If you're interested, and can find any of her books, the author's name is Paula Volsky and she writes fantasy/pure fiction stuff. It's hard to describe her. Her world is completely made up, but some of the stuff she writes could have come from our own history. Illusion is a good example of the French Revolution with a lot of magic thrown in for fun. *smile* She's just a fascinating read, but be prepared to think your way through her books. She's fun to read, but not easy to read... Figure that one out. *wink*

I don't know. I just can't bring myself to feel too bad about books I haven't read. By the way, Edith Wharton is an incredible author. You should give her a try sometime. *smile* Now, I do feel bad about her. She wrote "The Age of Innocence" in case you're interested. I had put that one off forever! I finally read it this summer and wish I hadn't of put it off for so long. I loved that book. That reminds me, I've been meaning to check out more of her books. Silly me! *smile*

No comments: