Saturday, September 13, 2008

New Quilt Started

It's a miracle!! Did anyone here trumpets sound yesterday when I ironed fabric and started cutting for the first time in months? LOL Just kidding. Then again, you might have if you lived closer to me because I did have my stereo on a little loud at first. *grin*

I have decided to go ahead and do that black and red quilt. I measured off the 5 yards of black I needed off of my bolt of black (I think I'll cry when I use that all up) and tossed it into the wash. While that was going, I set about pulling several reds to start cutting up. I ended up using 3 different fabrics in the red department to pull this off. No big deal though. I mean, I just cleared out more space in my "red drawer" to add more later!

Then, I proceeded to cut up all that red fabric to get it ready to sew together. I tell you, I was pretty sick and tired of it after cutting out 81 3.5" squares and 308 2" squares. As that got me into the late afternoon, I held off on messing with all the fabric I'd washed and dried earlier. I then discovered that when I rearranged my living room, I failed to put my cutting table near a good light source. Oops. That means I can't cut at night. With winter coming, I think I'd better get a lamp set up on my table. It's just that I actually keep it folded up now when I don't need it. So the light source didn't cross my mind when I moved the furniture around.

The quilt is going to be twin-sized when finished. I'm also going to use the QAYG (quilt as you go) method and break it up into 4X4 block sections. That will put each section at about 24" square. I could probably do it larger than that, but that's okay. I'll figure it out more as I get closer to that stage.

So anyway! My huge chunk of black fabric is sitting by my ironing board awaiting my attention. I ended up washing a lot of fabric that had been needing to be washed and ironed most of that last night. However, my back was definitely letting me know that it was not amused at this "new" treatment before I got to my black fabric. I guess I'll have to ease into it, huh?

With that, I think that I'm going to get going. I don't feel a strong urge to quilt today so I'm just going to force myself to do it anyway. I want to get that black all cut out so that I can collapse my table. Considering it takes 5 yards of black for this quilt, how long do you think it's going to take to cut it all up? LOL Yeah, you're right. I'd better get going if I want that table down by tonight. *grin*

No comments: