Sunday, September 28, 2008

Looking into the Future

There were some absolutely lovely older quilts out there. In looking at some pictures of vintage quilts a friend took at a show, it makes me wonder. Will anyone look back on our quilts in a hundred years and wonder about us? Will we leave behind an interesting design pattern that people will talk about (like the crazy quilt)? Or do we repeat the past quilts so much that it won't be anything new? Of course, the quilts that win in the huge shows are worth talking about any time. They'll be in pristine condition for a long time too. Of course there are what we consider "art quilts." They're unusual enough, huh? *grin*

Another odd question for you. Will our introduction of all the reproduction fabrics ever 'harm' the ability for future people to date our quilts? I will admit that I only ever put a simple label on my quilts. I never put my initials or date directly into the stitching of the quilt itself. Makes me wonder if I should start doing that....

Anyway, just going "thoughtful" on the future here. I sure hope that the quilts we make today are as loved and treasured in the future as the older quilts are for us today. *smile*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was checking out your Quilt Rambler today. Yes, I think you should leave your name right in the quilt in one way or the other. The old quilt I have from your Great Grandma Hare, there is no name, no date, nothing but a handwritten note from Grandma Hixson, Grandma Hare's daughter telling who made it and when. That was invaluable. And, I think future generations would appreciate that information as well on the beautiful quilts you make. For what it's worth. mum