Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I knew it!!

TaDa! I knew it would happen sooner or later. The quilt bug finally bit. It's almost hard enough to make me want to wash some fabric for a new quilt. The background is to be all black and all of my black is Moda. I bought it when a quilt shop was having a 50% off sale or something. It's a pure black, no mottling, with Moda's wonderful feel and weight. So, I bought an entire bolt of it. Needless to say, I never washed it and now I wash it as needed. It's the one fabric I'm sure of having enough of when I need a lot. Soon, I'll run out and then I'll be sad. This was a one time purchase for me.

Anyway, the reason behind my new quilt. First of all, it's for me. It's to be all black and red. I came across the perfect pattern in a baby quilt book of all places. LOL They have a version that uses a single background with 4 different fabrics, all the same shade. Well, I can take and toss out the need for 4 different fabrics and just use one.

Oh... the reason. I'll get there eventually. *grin* My oldest son now plays football. As we all know, football is inherently COLD! We're already dropping happily into the 50s on some days. So, I decided that I wanted a football quilt. My son's team colors are black and red. I love those colors (more black than red though, please) and decided to make a quilt. The pattern I picked is simple enough to put together. The only drawback is that I want to make it big. We're talking around twin size. I want to be able to spread it on the ground for the family or wrap everyone in it as needed. So that's going to take a lot of fabric and a lot of cutting. I haven't really thought about the quilting part yet. Maybe this is a good time to try the "Quilt As You Go" technique some more. I only have done that once seriously in the past. This time, it doesn't matter what it will look like all together. I just want it done!

So, I will get started on that soon. Maybe I can start by washing the fabrics tonight. Is a football quilt worth "wasting" lovely red batiks on? *smile* I have some gorgeous red batiks that would look wonderful. Maybe I will. I mean, I need to start clearing them out so that I have an excellent excuse to add more, right?

Yup. The quilt bug has bit. May it last all winter long. Heck, may the bite last long enough to dig my way to my fabric that's stuck in my son's messy bedroom! Oh, boy. That thought right there is almost enough to make me want to give up. Ugh. Oh, well. I will persevere and get it going! I want it done within 2 weeks. Think I can do it? Okay, that may take a miracle, but I'm up to the challenge. *grin*

No comments: