Saturday, September 13, 2008

I want to write!!

My mind starts to scream at me, "I want to write!!" So I get out a piece of paper. That beautiful white paper with pretty blue lines and a pen that is just waiting for my words to be written. Or it's my computer screen showing me a white background with a flashing cursor waiting for my fingers to fly across the keyboard to produce letters on the screen. The entire time my mind keeps screaming, "I want to write!" So I say back, "I know. I'm waiting. Now what? Where's my character? Where's the person I can bring to life? Who is my hero or heroine that I can lavish my love on. That I can build worlds and adventures around?" Then my mind answers back quietly, "I don't know." Then the urge fades away like everything else. Softly, as if it was never there, it fades away. Then I am left staring forlornly at a blank piece of paper and holding a useless pen. Or I'm left staring at a blank screen, the cursor blinking sadly at me awaiting my commands. My mind has abandoned me. The same mind who wanted to write so badly failed to produce the one thing I needed to start. So I quietly put my pen and paper away. I quietly hit the 'X' in the upper corner of my word processor and call it a night.

No comments: