Friday, May 23, 2008

The Siren Call

Recently, I decided that my children needed a "life skills" class. Since I homeschool, I get full control over what they learn. So, with that, I brought in an e-book on how to teach boys sewing. That's very important as projects that would keep a boy's attention are completely different from a girl's. With that, we started working on it. My oldest is the one I started on first, of course. He's 9 and I consider him responsible enough to handle a 'dangerous' machine and an iron. How lucky for me that I have 3 sewing machines. *grin* I pulled out one I bought ages ago (okay, about 2 or 3) and had never really used, for the boys. It is currently sitting on the kitchen table looking cute and blue. LOL

My son started out learning how to really control the machine. Learning smooth starts and stops and how to sew at the right speed. We then threaded it and he practiced sewing straight lines that were printed on a piece of paper. His first project is to be a pillowcase. However, he's just not interested enough to go to Joann's for the fabric. *sigh* Figures. So who knows when he'll actually get it done. If he ever does, I'll post a picture.

Now, my two younger boys are interested in the machine. I walked my youngest (he's 3) through how to use the pedal. We kept his hands clear of the moving parts and I let him push the pedal and watch what the machine does. I then put him in my lap while I controlled the pedal so he could see how the machine responds to different pressure on the pedal. By the time we called it quits, he was getting the machine to go at a good pace for a child to sew with. I know it's a speed I'd be comfortable working with. I was proud of him. *smile* In a few days, I'll let the two younger boys work on making straight lines with the machine threaded. I might draw the lines on fabric for them though. This should be interesting to see what happens. My middle son was fascinated because he put a napkin in the machine (it was new) and got to see how it fed things across the feed dogs. He was so excited to show me that the machine would move something without his hands on it. Again, we'll continue the lessons in a few days.

Okay, you may be asking, "Why in a few days? There's an entire weekend ahead of you." Well, it's because Daddy is coming home tomorrow. *happy dance* While Daddy is here, there won't be much interest in sewing, I'm sure.

However, there's now this cute little blue sewing machine perched on the kitchen table. I used it before the boys started to make sure the needle was okay and everything was working right. To do that, I grabbed two strips and a foundation square and started a string block. I now have my drawer of strings sitting out with that started block in it. It's calling to me... It's saying, "There's that little machine there that works great. It wouldn't take much to set up the little ironing board and get out an iron. Why don't you go sew?" Mean little thing. LOL I just want to sit and relax this evening. I wonder how long I can resist that call. So far, I've managed to avoid it for 2 days. I don't know why I'm fighting it so much. I mean, I'm a quilter by golly! I haven't quilted or sewn anything "for real" on a machine in some time now. I guess I don't want to get "trapped" right before my husband comes home. When I hit a full blown quilting stride, I don't want anything to get in the way. My husband will be #1 this entire weekend so I think I'll avoid the call of the sewing machine. I think tonight is the night to be lazy and just read. *smile*

With that, I think it's time to minimize the call of the machine. I'm going to go put my string block drawer back where it belongs. The cover is already on the machine. I think I'll have to store it somewhere while DH is home anyway. We're going to need the entire table for a few days. That's a novel idea. LOL We've only needed 4 seats for months now. It will be lovely having everyone home for awhile though.

I hope and pray that everyone has a terrific Memorial Day weekend. Ours is looking to be pretty terrific. *smile*

1 comment:

Alycia said...

Great idea to teach the boys to quilt. I would love to see what they comeup with. Hope you had a good weekend!