Thursday, May 1, 2008

1001 Books you should read before you die

I am an avid reader. If I'm not quilting or knitting, I'm usually reading a book. It usually depends on if I feel like watching TV or not in the evenings. Anyway, I came across this list of books that are basically recommended reading. As I look over this list, I'm slowly becoming annoyed with it. For some authors, almost every book they ever wrote is on the list. Then there are great authors that are not represented or only have 1 book listed. Some authors that are on there many, many times are Salman Rushdie, Margaret Atwood, J.M. Coetzee, and others. You see, it's disguised how many times a specific author is mentioned. At least it was in the list I read. It would appear that the books were placed in the list by publication date. I started to redo the list so I could have the authors in alphabetical order. Then it became really obvious how many times each author appeared. At least that could save me valuable reading time if I don't like a specific author's writing style. *smile*

However, thanks to this list, I have read 2 new authors that have written classics that I've never read before. One is Ernest Hemingway (he's depressing to read) and Edith Wharton. I need to check out more of her books. I adored "The Age of Innocence."

In grabbing a few books from the newer end of the list (it was divided by centuries), I've decided that I'd rather read the older books. I just attempted to read "The Robber Bride" by Margaret Atwood. It was starting to bother me to no end. I didn't make it past chapter 6 before I put it down. For some reason, one of her characters liked to reverse words. I mean, actually put the whole word backwards. i.e. sdrawkcab. It was driving me nuts! As that was the main character who she focused on, I couldn't go on any further. I also checked out "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. I'll attempt to read it as well. If that one also flops in my opinion, then I'll just strike her from the list and call it quits. There are at least 300 other authors there to try.

It's just interesting to see that most of the books they say you should read mainly come from the 1900s. A lot of them from the late 1900s. So many great books were written before then that it's sad how many didn't make it on the list. That and a lot of great children's books never made it either. I personally think everyone should read the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. They're incredible. I also love "Anne of Green Gables", "The Secret Garden", and the Little House on the Prairie series. Also, who could ever forget "A Wrinkle in Time"? All are considered children's books and none of those are on the list. I've seen maybe 4 books on the list that are children's books. Well, maybe a few more. Jules Verne ended up on the list a few times. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, don't mind me too much. I just adore children's books. I actually own "The Secret Garden" in hardback because I was reading my paperback to pieces. I need to replace my copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" also. It needs to be updated to a hardback edition too. *grin*

Well, like I said. I'm a bibliophile. I absolutely adore books. I actually don't really like audiobooks. I much prefer to hold real books in my hands. I also can't read them very well on the computer screen. My eyes won't stay focused on the words that long. I just love the feel of paper and turning of the pages. It's such a wonderful feeling. *smile*

All of that being said, you should check this out if you're a fellow bibliophile:


(psst... if you use this link, please state me as the referrer... sldrsprincess at gmail dot com. Thanks!)

That right there is a link to the greatest thing ever! For every paperback (or hardback) book you send out to another member, you get a credit for a free book. Each person sending out the book pays shipping. However, when you order a book, you don't have to pay. Isn't that great! It's a terrific way to clear off your bookshelves of books you don't want anymore and bring in other books you want to read. I actually managed to get my hands on out of print Paula Volsky books that way. I now have an entire set of her works. I'm absolutely thrilled as she's one of my all-time favorite authors.

With that... it's late and I should be heading on out. Have a great evening and don't forget to read! It helps to keep your mind alive and active.

No comments: