Sunday, May 25, 2008

Athletic. Who? Me?!

Okay, once again this has nothing to do with quilting. However, I just feel like talking so I will. It's my blog, right? *smile*

Yesterday, while watching my 3-year old zoom up and down the sidewalks on a regular scooter, I turned and asked my husband, "Where did the boys get all of this athletic ability?" Keep in mind that my husband is the one that played sports all through school. He wrestled for 17 years and coached it for awhile. He looked at me and said, "Honey. I hate to say it, but they got it from you." What? Huh?! ME?! The same girl who avoided sports in school like the plague and refuses to exercise. I'm the one with the athletic ability?!

I've always joked that I had an athletic build. I'm tall and slender and don't have any trouble with weight. (Okay, don't hurt me please.) However, I never put any stock into my body shape. I just figured this was the way God made me and that it was a big joke. Then, I started thinking about my past.

I adore swimming. I didn't learn to swim until I was 8, but I loved it. I was on a swim team by the time I was 10. However, I left the moment the coach said, "She has great potential, but she needs some weight training." The words 'weight training' scared me away.

My step-father used to be a tennis coach. One summer, he spent time with me teaching me how to play tennis. Looking back on it now, I remember that I enjoyed it. I don't remember why he quit coaching me. Maybe it was those 'evil' words again. You know the ones, "weight training." My arm muscles just weren't strong enough. Again, the potential was there and I wouldn't do anything about it.

I've always run well, but I wouldn't develop that 'skill' either. I played with the idea of doing track in high school one year. But I didn't want to take the time to get into shape for it.

Take yesterday as the final example. Two of our boys are in baseball. With DH home, for once I wasn't the one pitching to them so they could practice hitting. After everyone had a turn or two, I stepped in and said, "I want to try hitting the ball." Keep in mind I've never really hit a ball before. I'd never played baseball, though I could catch and throw well (compliments of my brothers teaching me), and only played girls softball for a little while. Though I did have that previous tennis training back when I was about 11 or so. I hit almost every single ball my husband threw at me. It was a lot of fun. My husband was really surprised, actually. I didn't think anything of it. I've always had pretty good hand and eye coordination.

In thinking back on it, especially after DH said the athletic talent comes from me, I have decided that it's finally time to do something about it. God gave me this body and my talent for some reason. I'm severely out of shape and couldn't do anything that I want to right now anyway. As the kids get older, it will be even easier for Mom to take part in some sport or another. I've picked out my 2 favorite sports from when I was young to get in shape for. Tennis and swimming. Swimming is easy to do without knowing anyone. You just need a nice pool. Tennis will be a little more difficult. However, with DH in the Army, we'll eventually get to join him near a base and I'll be able to use their facilities. That will make it a lot easier.

Today, my dog and I decided it was time to start getting into shape. Thanks to my lazy lifestyle, my dog is lazy and overweight too. So I clipped on her leash and we set out for a walk. I know not to overdo it or I'll be in a lot of pain. We didn't go all that far, but I was literally dragging my poor dog for a good chunk of it. She did not appreciate the quick pace I set (it wasn't all that fast, I wasn't even jogging). Poor little thing. She's a Sheltie, or Shetland Sheepdog. She's supposed to be this sleek, fast moving dog. Not my dog! Oh, well. We'll get her back into shape while I'm getting into shape. My husband can run 4 miles in about 30 minutes. I wonder if I'll ever be able to run with him? I think that will be my first goal. *smile*

No comments: