Monday, October 20, 2008

Redecorating

Well, my quilting hasn't been going anywhere for the past few days. I decided last week to redecorate my living room. It's looked the same, or at least shifted along the same lines, for about 5 years now. I decided that was long enough and now it's all changing.

We live in a relatively small home, but our furniture has never reflected that very well. So along with new paint in the living room and one hallway we have, I'm also stripping out our furniture and replacing it with nicer, smaller, and more functional items.

I have decided to leave behind our color scheme, if there ever was one, and I'm going more towards a monochromatic, contemporary look. I want something that will enable me to change the looks of my living room without all the work I'm going through now.

Previously, the main color in our living room was a rich plum color. It was very pretty, but it meant more 5 years ago when I actually had a reason for it. Over the years, that reason has changed as new furniture has come and gone. As a matter of fact, our living room looked like a color blind tornado had come through it and decorated it for me. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason for any colors or furniture in my living room. With my delicate sense of color, it's amazing that it stayed that way for so long. Maybe it was just finding a way to come up with the money necessary to change it as well as the energy. Or maybe even the desire to battle my 3 boys in keeping the newer stuff nice. Who knows?

Yesterday, I had 2 neighbors come in and help me get rid of my large furniture in the living room. Bye, bye couch and large desk. Then, I ran to Home Depot and bought a small fortune in paint. I now have my white hallway wall needing only one more coat of paint, the long plum wall that went from the front door all the way back to my bedroom door totally primed (it's going to a much lighter color this time), and the wall next to our front door completely done. At least something is done! LOL

I really want to get going on the wall that has our front window in it. However, that's where I have 2 bookcases, my main sewing cabinet, and my cutting table. The amount of work needed to get all of that moved is sort of mind boggling. Especially after doing so much yesterday. I'll get there though as 3 boxes stacked in my living room is my new desk. It replaces the huge desk I had removed and one of those bookcases. It also fits into a corner so takes up so much less space. It also has a more contemporary design. So, the wall with the window has to be done soon. I just need to take a deep breath and tackle that wall. Then again, I might look at it, shudder, and give the hallway its last coat of paint first. *grin* Actually, that's probably the best idea anyway. Then I can call the hallway finished and move on. Then it gives me a good break from painting while moving more stuff around in my living room to get ready to paint that main wall.

It just all takes time. I'm even taking pictures of it. From messy, cluttered beginning to hopefully a lovely and clean finish. *grin* Wish me luck! I'm going to need it!

No comments: