Friday, July 25, 2008

Nails too long?

Did you ever think that was possible? To have nails that are too long? Right now, my nails are to the point that they're starting to get in the way, especially the last 2 on each hand. Makes sense as they're the 2 that rarely get bumped as they grow. Now my thumb and forefingers on each hand have much shorter nails. I sort of like it that way because it proves that my nails are real and not fake. I decided about a month ago to just let them grow until they break. Mind you, I thought they'd all have broken by now. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I started taking the course that the lady who has the longest fingernails in the world does. She does this every day, but I only do it once every 3 days.

I take off all my polish and wash my hands. I then take my "peach oil" (it's just jojoba oil and mineral oil with peach fragrance) and rub it into each nail and cuticle bed. When my nails have fully soaked it in (this can take upwards of 30 minutes to an hour), I put a clear coat on top of that. Right now, I'm using "Miracle Cure" by Sally Hansen. It's in a blue bottle. When that's dry, I then put a colored coat on top. When that colored coat starts to look bad, usually in about 3 days, that's my signal to take it off and do it again.

Yesterday, I tripped over a heat register at my in-laws' house. They have redone their floors and now the heat registers don't fit right. Anyway, I smacked my hand against the sliding glass doors right there and bent back my pinky nail. Oh, my gosh! That hurt!! It bent the nail back to the quick, but there's only a small crack on the side. I'm sure it will break off eventually, but I was impressed that it didn't snap all the way off. I guess that oil is the answer to keep your nails slightly flexible while the clear coat and polish keeps them stronger. Before, when my nails grew out, they were brittle and would just snap off if I hit them just right. So, this is interesting. *smile*

Would this work for someone with problematic nails that has a hard time growing them out? I honestly can't say. Unfortunately, my closest "test subject" likes her nails long so she just has them professionally done. Too bad she wouldn't be willing to try this. However, it has taken months for my nails to get this long and it only takes about 1-2 hours to have them made artificially long. It's just that my method is infinitely cheaper if you have the patience.

If you try it and you have brittle nails or nails that just won't grow, let me know if it works, okay? *smile* Oh, one note. You'd have to find a different oil or just make your own. I bought my oil ages ago through through some random vendor at a mall. I've never seen it sold in stores. The lady with the longest nails just uses plain mineral oil so I'm guessing you could too! I found an online store where that peach oil is sold. It's HERE. However, it would be cheaper to just make your own. You'd just miss out on the pretty peach scent. LOL

So there you have it! My nail beauty tip of the day.

No comments: