Monday, March 31, 2008

For Love of Country

I mentioned in my other post that I had more to say about our lives. As a matter of fact, this is the largest part of our life right now.

My husband is in the Army, which obviously makes me an Army wife. I now have 3 little boys who refuse to stop playing Army, not that I even attempt to stop them, and one who really wants to follow his father into the service. Again, not something I'm trying to talk him out of. I mean, how could I agree to let my husband join and then tell my children not to? I'm proud of my country. As they say, "It's the land of the free because of the brave."

My husband joined just last year. He was pushing the new age limit the Army imposed, which is 42 if anyone is interested, and fought for a year and a half to get in. Yes, my husband jumped through every single hoop the Army put in front of him, and a few others off to the side, to be allowed to join. It had been his dream since he was younger to serve his country. He tried to do it in other ways, such as being a police officer, but it just wasn't meant to be. When the Army raised the age limit, I agreed that he should try to join. There near the end, I thought it was over and it was never going to happen. Then DH got to talk to a colonel who approved him and then he could join. Nuts, huh?

While I miss my husband dreadfully, and look at Iraq with fear on the chance that he might go there, I am proud of my husband. I am proud to be an Army wife. I am excited to have the opportunity to impress on each of my children how wonderful our country is, our constitution that grants us our freedoms, and show them, first hand, the men and women who make our continuing freedom possible.

It wasn't until my husband left for Basic Combat Training that I realized how much he really did around the house. I finally realized how much I had taken him for granted. There were the big things, like playing with the boys, watching movies with me in the evenings, the long talks, the fact that he'd let me talk quilts with him even though he didn't care just because it made me happy. *smile* Then there were the little things. He'd clear the table after dinner, and sometimes even cook if I didn't want to. He'd help fold the laundry and mop the kitchen floor. The ability to walk by him and just touch him on the arm. Until he left, I didn't know how important all of that was to me. Now I know. I have told him, many times, how much he means to me, and I pray I won't take him for granted anymore.

He is now in training for his job with the Army. He's enjoying his time with the Army even though it can be slow and chaotic sometimes. It's where he was meant to be and he's happy. That is all I wanted for him. I have also discovered that it takes incredible strength to remain home, take care of the family 24/7, and still be strong enough to support my husband. I have grown stronger than I ever imagined I could be.

My husband is a soldier in the United States Army. I am proud of him and support him 100%.

I am an Army Wife.

No comments: