Sunday, May 24, 2009

Writing, among other things

Not too many people know this, but I've started writing. I stretched my wings and allowed complete strangers to read what I write. Boy, was that a huge stretch for me. Until November 2008, I'd never let anyone outside of family and a few teachers read what I write. Imagine my surprise when everyone agreed... I write well. I guess I believe it now. My dream of becoming a published author began to take shape in my mind... And then, BAM! It happened again. What's that, you might ask? Well, I have this weird habit of only working on one thing at a time. Well, I only work on one thing that interests me at a time. I do have a family with 3 young boys, 2 of which are in baseball, so I really only have time for one thing for myself at a time.

As you can tell by the name of my blog, I'm a quilter. I was solidly a quilter for 7 years before my eye started wandering in other directions. Normally, I quilt in the colder months. Generally from late fall to early spring. This year, however, I got caught up in writing, so no quilting. Now, I'm into beading. I like it... it's a lovely cool hobby. :-) I just do that, though. Switch from hobby to hobby without much thought of what I left behind. Strangely enough, not writing anymore haunts me. I know in my heart and mind how important it is to me. I just can't seem to convince myself to sit and keep writing.

To top it off, I was reading a few things the other day. Did you know that a lot of agents and publishers won't even look at you very close if you don't have a popular blog and a large following on Twitter? Well, I don't use Twitter and this blog has never been popular. Heck, I'm not even sure how many read it! LOL I did have a large following out on writing.com though. Does that count? ;-) The true readers loved my writing. I think that's more important than a general blog that looks like every other blog. Then again, I never had high hopes of being "officially" published. I was looking more along the lines of being self-published due to the fact I have serious issues with rejection. Even the bestsellers can be rejected several times before finding their 'home.'

Perhaps it's time to sit myself down for 30 minutes a night and work on my current book and see if it won't lead me somewhere. I can still picture exactly where I left off my characters. I think it's time to get them moving again. LOL I can try it. If nothing else, I might at least finish a book. I've never done that before. I'm normally a short story writer, so this book idea came out of no where and surprised me. :-)

With that, I'd better go get cleaned up and get around. I get to take 3 boys grocery shopping... I'm NOT looking forward to that. *sigh*

No comments: