Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lady Liberty Update

In all realities, the name of the pattern is "She Stands Tall." However, I renamed it to "Lady Liberty" the other night. I like it better. :-D Anyway! I realized that, when you switch how you're attaching the beads, it changes how they lie and the tension in the thread. Oops! As I'm doing this in sections, it's very important that they line up when they're finished. So, the second section I was working on, along with almost half of the first section, are a complete wash. In a way, it's annoying and aggravating... However, I learned something important, so I guess I won't be too upset over it. :-D

I've also decided to make myself a loom. I came across this pattern and decided to give it a try. All I'll be out is a single piece of wood and some wood screws. Not too pricey if it doesn't work. However, several comments on the page lead me to believe that it will work just fine. Unfortunately, I need the wood cut in about 3 places to create it. Bummer for me that I don't know how to use power tools and we don't own a hand saw. LOL Fortunately for me, my father-in-law will be home soon and I know he'll cut it for me. :-) Then I'll create my loom.

That leads me to a question my husband asked me, "Since you're having to completely redo 'Lady Liberty,' why don't you just wait for your loom to be finished?" It's a loom pattern, so his question makes perfect sense. Thank goodness he understands me so well. LOL He knows how much I enjoy doing handwork and the more intricate things by hand. In time, I might be willing to do things like this on the loom. Makes more sense actually as this is 100 X 101 beads. There's just that sense of peace and accomplishment I get from doing it by hand. As I told him, I'll just do the quick simple stuff on the loom, like my bracelets and the like. Stuff that I plan on selling to fund my larger tapestries. I hope to be able to sell my tapestries later on. We'll see. :-)

For now, I just want to quietly work on "Lady Liberty" in my own way. It might take longer, but it's worth it in my mind.

Now... to pick up some pretty silver-colored bugle beads to see if my latest design idea will work. Though I suppose I should finish up Kokopelli first. See how he turned out... LOL

No comments: